Thursday, July 31, 2014

So long, Jon

Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes were traded to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes on Thursday, landing Boston a power-hitting outfielder, but making the A's a Major League powerhouse

In a vacuum, adding Cespedes to the middle of your lineup is a special acquisition. But if it means not coming to terms with your ace, then perhaps it shouldn't be celebrated.

The Red Sox traded away their ace in Lester, and while adding a damn good player, it confirms the harsh reality that Lester and the Sox just couldn't agree on a contract extension.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cespedes. But I would have preferred to re-sign Lester.

Some think that will still be possible this offseason. I think it's too good to be true.

On Thursday's podcast, I reacted to the Lester trade, as well as applauding Gomes for succeeding in a role that's tough to find.

(Note: Thursday's podcast was recorded before John Lackey was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals)

Subscribe on iTunes, or listen below:



Listen to "I'm Just Sayin" every weekday by subscribing on iTunes (refresh in iTunes to download latest podcast).

@DannyPicard

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home